On Oct 27, 2009, at 2:25 AM, Michel Jullian wrote:

2009/10/26 Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net>:
> ...you are willing to sell
> something that not even the fringe physics/chemistry population constituting > experts in the CF field agree to as demonstrative....This could of course, at
> minimum, be damaging to the field.
> What is missing is a single utterly
> convincing experiment that is readily replicated. No such experiment yet
> exists as far as I know, even as accepted by the community.

So you're effectively saying that selling ANY Cold Fusion demo kit today would be damaging to the field, right? I don't see why, as long as it is not claimed that the kits constitute a proof of CF reality.

There is no convincing single experiment that demonstrates cold fusion. Producing a kit that supposedly does demonstrate CF is therefore is a matter of questionable ethics. Doing so at a profit casts an ugly shadow on the effort at best. Producing a kit that uses a bad protocol when other simple protocols (e.g. SPAWAR's current protocol) are available is nonsensical. A questionable protocol simply invites derision.

If there were a convincing single cheap experiment I'd want to see at least 1,000 talented science students graduating from high school every year having personally witnessed cold fusion. That's worth attempting on a non-profit basis. It think 10,000 is even a reasonable goal.

It strikes me, at this point in the evolution of the field, as nonsensical and even a poor business decision to sell a kit that produces a single demonstration experiment. It is not even a good approach to a science fair project to use a cookbook recipe kit. What would make much more sense is to provide enough of a variety of things so that the purchaser can cook up his own experiments, to provide an erector set for electrochemical experiments. For example, plastic cells with flat electrode size holes machined or in the sides (so as to be able to keep the particle detection outside the cell by applying electrode structures to the hole) might be sold in fairly large quantities. An erector set is more useful than a one-time kit. Something more along the lines of Bob Lazar's operation might make sense, but selling materials, equipment, and documentation geared for CF work.

Something that might be useful in a kit form is a small programmable CR-39 (or other item) heater/oven , for use in etching or annealing. Also power supplies of various kinds could be sold as kit built. Data data acquisition tools or software may be useful, even just thermistors, very cheap DVMs, etc. Vacuum pumps. One stop shopping for all you scientific needs. 8^)

One problem might be all the new laws in place about selling and shipping such things, especially chemicals. Both selling and shipping could involve serious legal considerations, especially for use without qualified supervision, or not in a certified laboratory with eyewash showers, etc. There may also be problems selling things for which the primary intent is to produce nuclear reactions.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/