2009/11/27 Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net>:

> I'd like to see what happens to the bubbles when the battery is
> disconnected.  If it really is a fuel cell it should be possible to bubble
> O2 and H2 (from another cell) around the separate wires and get a sustained
> current.

A very good idea, seems quite easy to implement with a couple of
tubings going from the electrolytic cell to the fuel cell, this
reminded me I had seen similar bubbling of  an external gas on an
electrode in articles on reference electrodes ( see e.g.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_hydrogen_electrode ).

Reference electrodes are probably quite relevant to the present
discussion, in that they seem capable to maintain a reference voltage
as long as you keep bubbling the gas, without any additional energy
input!

> This looks like an interesting high school science project.

Indeed, and it might even allow practical clean batteries for low power devices.

Michel