At 02:48 PM 12/7/2009, Horace Heffner wrote:
One neutron in 100 seconds or more is not a very big number.  It is a
credible number, assuming my calculations are correct. It would take
a very good neutron spectrometer and laboratory conditions to
distinguish that from background. OTOH, if trace tritium doping were
used that number could easily be bumped up by a factor of 10,000,
assuming the triple tracks are indeed from 12C(n,n')3alpha reactions.

Did you mean to say, "assuming that the neutrons are from tritium fusion"?

That the triple tracks are from 12C breakup is, to my mind, not seriously in doubt. What's speculative at this point is the source of the neutrons, other than "from the cathode."

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.