At 05:53 PM 12/7/2009, Jones Beene wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Horace Heffner

I think there may be a little bit of reason for doubt, as I noted in:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/CFnuclearReactions.pdf

More than a little doubt, I would say ;-)

I don't think so, because the doubt and question you raise isn't about the triple tracks. In a way, you may be making the same mistake as Mr. Beene, confusing the neutron inference with the hypothesized source of the neutrons.

The conclusion of the Mosier-Boss et al. article, that triple tracks are due to the 12C(n,n’)3á reaction, implies the need for repeating exactly the same experiment
using D2O + trace T2O instead of just D2O.

I've said that tritium doping is an obvious thing to try, but it's quite possible that even if the neutrons are from tritium fusion, there would be no increase.

Now, if the increase were from tritium fusing as the initial reaction, you'd be right. And that is a possibility. After all, if there is some tritium in the cell, and it ends up in the place where some deuterium would fuse, it would also likely fuse. But very little of this tritium would fuse, just as very little of the deuterium fuses. Good thing, eh?

But if the tritium is generated in the initial reaction, sometimes, it would be hot, and very likely to fuse. Adding more tritium would not increase this, because the new tritium would not be hot.

We know that something generates tritium in these cells, at low levels. And it would quite likely be hot tritium formed, so it would probably fuse with deuterium, and it would then produce the required neutron to produce the triple tracks.

In other words, from what we already know (tritium generation), we'd expect a low level of neutrons. So neutrons are merely a confirmation of this. It's a coherent picture already, and, while that doesn't prove that this picture corresponds exactly to the reality, there isn't much need to conjure up exotic reactions. Except, of course, for whatever it is that is going on in the cell that would generate tritium! I think the TSC would do it, and a lot of other things, both directly if it encounters a nucleus before collapsing and decaying, and indirectly as it generates a few very hot alphas. I believe that if it's generating seriously hot alphas (these would be from early decay of the Be-8, before the bulk of the energy of the excited nucleus has been emitted as EUV or whatever it is), these would be generated below the surface, there would be significant loss of energy before they escape the cathode.