--- On Fri, 1/22/10, Rick Monteverde <r...@highsurf.com> wrote:

> Of course there are a few right here in our own
> neighborhood that are decent
> candidates for deep bio activity. And aside from that one
> where we are to
> "attempt no landing...", we wouldn't have to fight off
> those annoying blue
> people just to have a look.

Besides the latest monolith creations on Europa, and the Na'vi, you have these
guys to contend with somewhere beyond Jupiter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ybGrKCJFw

At least they have those excellent sunshades.

On the subject of alien life, I often wonder why these days it is becoming most
common to portray nontechnological alien intelligence.
N = n* x fp x ne x fl x fi x fc x fL, so says Drake and Sagan. No one seems to
like fc any more. To play devil's advocate, I could say, "Spaceman General's
Warning: fc may be hazardous to your fL."
But then, so can asteroids. Alpha Centauri must have at least a few, and what
with two other stars quite close, collisions might be frequent. Maybe the tree
the Na'vi have is an asteroid defense system left behind by the guys who gave
the Fithp (weren't they also from Alpha Centauri?) their 'thuktunthp'
(translation, big damn rocks)?

If there are not intelligent, technologically advanced communicative
civilizations out there, the universe suddenly seems a far more lonely place.
Years ago, I watched Sagan's 'COSMOS', and recall in episode 12 when he
discussed the Drake equation, and how few there might be out there. The
suggestion of N = 10, and his assertion that, if that is the case, there may be
no one to talk to, sent a chill up my spine. The stars suddenly seemed very
empty.

But in many ways now, it seems like people crave this. There's certainly one
special interest group that adores the idea of the noble savage from another
star, but... that is what it is.
Back in the good ol' days, the advancement of a civilization was roughly
represented by the Kardashev scale. Apparently we're somewhat close to Type I.
The Na'vi would be immeasureably close to Type 0.0, with maybe  some allowance
for basic energy expendature (fire, animal husbandry, using wind, etc.). Maybe
the tree expends energy.

By and large, it seems that the primitive, nontechnological aliens are noble
savages, and really are Good People, while the technologically advanced
starfaring aliens are just bent on blasting the White House and
enslaving/killing/eating/etc. humanity for no good reason. They don't think,
they don't care, they don't dream. They just kill, because all that steel makes
them bad.

--Kyle