On 02/08/2010 11:41 AM, Jones Beene wrote:

> I have lost the citation from a few weeks ago that claimed that below a
> threshold of about 10 nm, the expected blackbody frequency is upshifted for
> nanostructures, in general.

If I understand you, and if this is true, then it's a violation of the
second law of thermodynamics.

It's provable by a direct, simple second law argument that all thermal
radiators of the same temperature have the same spectrum, with the
caveat that radiation is reduced proportionally at frequencies at which
the object is reflective or transparent.

Here's the argument:

When two objects at the same temperature are placed next to each other
in a uniformly hot oven (with everything at the same temperature to
start with), and a dichroic filter is placed between them, if one
radiates more strongly at the filter's peak reflection frequency than
the other, their temperatures will change.  (The one which radiates more
strongly at the mirror's reflection frequency will "see" more radiation
coming in than the other object, and so will get warmer.)