I haven't taken the time to look into this in detail, but my first
impression is that, unless there is a typo, it makes no sense at all
to attempt to draw the 23.82 MeV line through Fig. 1, or to draw any
conclusions from the graph as to energy per helium atom produced.
Perhaps I'm misreading the x axis labeling "Excess Power/Current
(mW / A)", or the intended meaning of the x axis values.  To be
sensible the x axis should simply be excess energy, i.e. the integral
of mW over time.  It looks like voltage was roughly uniform, so the
(input) mW/A should roughly be a constant, given power P = I * (V -
v0).  So, basically, the x axis is a constant times excess power.  It
should be a constant times excess energy to make any sense, or to
plot the green line on it.

Alternatively, at a constant power the helium could be measured over
equally spaced intervals, and then the green line should be
horizontal, i.e.  fixed amount of helium produced per interval of
time corresponding to the mean excess power for the interval.

Maybe if someone took the time to look deeper into this they could
make some sense of it.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/

Horace,

You are not misreading the X axis label. I too have great difficulty understanding a) the rationale of displaying power/current for the x axis and b) relating power/current to heat (energy) which is what the green line allegedly represents.

I've inspected the 300+ page EPRI report and I cannot find mention of calorimetry data for these two runs. (HH Sept. and HH Nov/Dec.) Maybe they somehow derived heat (energy) from power/current???

Jed - You said you didn't find anything confusing. So maybe you can explain what power/current (on the x axis) has to to with heat/4He?

Steve