On 03/17/2010 12:26 PM, Harry Veeder wrote:
> Maybe he thinks it is obvious that the energy stored in the capacitor
> has (or will?) exceed the energy stored in the battery.

HAH!

The battery obviously masses more than the caps. (Just look at the
relative sizes, and consider for a moment typical battery and capacitor
densities.)

Chemical storage is denser than electrostatic storage, by a *lot*, when
we're talking about technology currently available at your local Radio
Shack. (Nanoparticle hypercapacitors which can't quite be purchased yet
notwithstanding.)

Ergo, the energy stored in those caps is not going to exceed the energy
stored in that battery -- in fact, it's not going to be more than a
small fraction of the energy stored in that battery, even if he charges
them up past their breakdown voltage and shows them belching out clouds
of smoke on the next video.