At 04:28 PM 5/27/2010, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

No argument can be settled and no progress made unless you abide by this rule: experiments are the only authority.

There is a problem with your view, Jed. You are proposing an absolute standard for deciding issues but no mechanism for the decision. You left out *who* and *how* such decisions are made.

That is only a problem when -- as I said -- the experiments are difficult to interpret, or inconclusive. For example, the 1919 eclipse data used to verify relativity was difficult to interpret. Only an expert could work through the details. (See Collins & Pinch)

Sure. But enough smoke was generated about cold fusion that the experimental work was, in fact, difficult to interpret. The nature of the experimental data was such as to arouse natural suspicion. The lack of a decent theoretical explanation shouldn't have stopped research, but, politically, it hurt.

Remember, I'm considering Wikipedia process. So an editor doesn't have a clue, doesn't know whether or not to trust, say, some peer-reviewed publication. Thinking of this as a topic in nuclear physics, the editor asks a friend who, they think, will understand, who knows the physics, supposedly. What do you think is likely to happen?

There is a way around the Wikipedia problem, but it takes a special combination: someone who understands the topic of cold fusion, but who also can be very, very patient wtih the usual assortment of ignorant but active "fools." In the end, those "fools" are stand-ins for the readers. Some of them, a few, really don't care about the truth, but most of them, held by the hand and walked carefully and slowly and civilly through the evidence, will shift. They are not all alike.

I wasn't given nearly enough time, and I had too little support. But ... I'll be back. They will try to ban me again, I'm sure. They won't succeed, and they might take themselves out in the process. I had just started to move beyond discussion to article action when the ban came down. I was mostly dinged for discussing too much! I'll move in quite a different way when the ban expires in August, I think it is. Pcarbonn came back and was immediately attacked, it was blatant. He was "community banned" at the noticeboard. That would have created grounds for an immediate appeal to ArbComm, and, in fact, it woudl have been more or less open and shut. There was no misbehavior, not a whisper, and the results of the earlier case setting the original ban were drastically misrepresented by JzG. If he tried that trick with me, I'd be at ArbComm with devastating evidence, there is a lot of it. Understand that this wouldn't be evidence about cold fusion, it would be evidence about the misbehavior of administrators and the people trying to suppress what they think of as fringe science. In general, that faction is losing, the community is waking up to what's been going on.

Some aspects of cold fusion, such as helium or neutron detection, call for expert knowledge. These are difficult to judge. Many excess heat results are marginal and unconvincing, and cannot be believed without extensive modeling and calibration. However, other results are clear and can be understood by anyone with a junior-high school level of physics and chemistry. After 1990 there were enough of the clear-cut results to make an airtight case.

After Will et al. reported their tritium results, which confirmed TAMU and Los Alamos, every journal and newspaper on earth should have announced that cold fusion is real. Many previous experimental claims were universally accepted with less convincing evidence than this. Any article that calls into question the existence of the phenomenon today is unscientific blather.

Sure. Look, the article is bogus, much of it, or, more accurate, it's almost twenty years out of date. It pretends there aren't any theories that aren't "ad-hoc," whatever that means. It doesn't tell the story of the suppression, when there is plenty of reliable source on it. It completely misrepresents the strongest evidence for cold fusion, heat/helium, citing the reviewer's error in the anonymous report from teh 2004 DoE conference, instead of actual reliable sources, and the misrepresentation makes the strong correlation look like an anticorrelation. I don't wonder that someone reading that article would still tend to think the field is bogus. A few will see through it. But a few isn't necessarily enough on Wikipedia, when there is a dedicated faction, even though that factionn is actually opposing general community consensus on how the encyclopedia is supposed to be put together.

If cold fusion was held to the same conventional standards applied to all other discoveries, people like Huizenga and Park would be dismissed by every serious thinker. Even Wikipedia would fall in line. Cold fusion is the only subject in the Scientific American described in fact-free riffs of the imagination written by people who brag that they know nothing about the subject! See:

<http://lenr-canr.org/News.htm#SciAmSlam>http://lenr-canr.org/News.htm#SciAmSlam

Now, Jed, consider what you've just pointed out. The editors at Scientific American got it seriously wrong. Do you expect the editors at Wikipedia to do better? The latter aren't professionals, they are not trained to do what they are doing, and there is no serious supervision. But there is another multidisciplinary journal that has the same impact factor as Scientific American, that is getting it right, and this, properly brought forward at the Wikipedia article, will turn the tide. Naturwissenschaften.

When I started introducing NW sources, they tried to claim it was a "life sciences journal," i.e., to make it appear they would know a neutron from a neutrophil. Basically, these are editors who don't know beans, they simply jump on any appearance that seems to promote their agenda, which, in this case, didn't even have anything to do with cold fusion, it had to do with trying to discredit an editor, me. Where normal process was used, they would lose every time. So they bypassed the process, but, in doing so, they had to invest major resources and reveal the extent of their bias. See, Jed, it's all in the record, and the truth tends to come out, eventually. What they have done is really very visible, and if I had time, I'd have done much more....

As Obama said in the debate about conservation: "It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant."

It sure seems that way sometimes. Actually, in the case of one of your favorite editors, Jed, what really happens is that if you expose his ignorance, he retaliates. He'll shut up where his ignorance was exposed, short term, but he accumulates every appearance of misbehavior that he can find, and dumps it where it can do the most harm.

Cardinal Richelieu supposedly said (it's disputed): If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him. There is always some ways to make activity look bad, if you don't care about truth.

We have gotten used to this mess. We forget how strange it is. We take it for granted that Sci. Am. and other mass media will publish articles about this one subject that are fact-free compendium of stupid mistakes and absurd rumors. This is unprecedented. Of course the mass media often gets things wrong, but not to this extent. I expect you could search through 150 years of Sci. Am. and not find any other articles about relatively simple experiments that are so bollixed up.

Quite possibly not. Jed, this is really a huge story, and it's amply covered in what Wikipedia considers reliable source. But the "cabal" seriously won't like it. And that's where they are truly vulnerable, all that is necessary is to allow them to oppose and remove, what's in reliable source at the same time that they insist on using weak sources on the other side.

It's been pretty amusing. They would cite something from a source that made cold fusion look bad, but when something else is put in from that same source, they attacked the source as weak and ignorant or biased. (Bart Simon was the example, but I've seen these people do the same thing in many articles on many topics. Few people, though, have the tenacity to prepare and present a case before the Arbitration Committee, or even the lower levels of dispute resolution, and the oligarchy has vigorously resisted attempts to set up ways to level the playing field, for example, the Association of Mediation Advocates, which was designed put together inexperienced editors needing assistance in negotiating the Bystantine "not-bureaucracy" of Wikipedia, with experienced editors who could help them filter out what was proper from what was not, and to present their cases well. You can imagine how popular this was with the bullies!