Jed maybe it was not a sinkhole  reference.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/67546/outer-limits-feasibility-study

-----Original Message-----
From: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-L@eskimo.com
Sent: Tue, Jun 1, 2010 4:00 pm
Subject: [Vo]:OFF TOPIC Gigantic sinkhole in Guatemala

See:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/06/01/central.america.storm.deaths/

This is mind-blowing. I do not see how such a giant hole could form with this
shape: a giant, deep, round shaft, big enough to swallow up a 3-story building.

Sinkholes are common in Georgia and Florida but I have never heard of one like
this. As far as I know they are caused by an underground flow of water. The
water hollows out a volume of earth which then collapses from above. I do not
see how it could hollow out such a huge volume without the collapse occurring
earlier than it did.

In Atlanta, antiquated sewer and broken water lines cause sinkholes and sudden
collapses. Several years ago one opened up suddenly in a parking lot downtown,
where dirt and asphalt had been piled on top of the pipeline for years, finally
breaking it. The hole opened suddenly and a pedestrian fell in and was swept
away. I do not think the body was ever found. It sounds like something from a
horror movie but it really happened.