Good point Steven. In fact, the incremental increase in complexity of crop
circles over time seems to roughly correspond to the increase in inexpensive
computer power and GPS etc. which is available to students.

Equally surprising and far more ironic is that the increase in inexpensive
computer power may itself be in some part a result of an alien intelligence
having already "infected" the human minds which were responsible for those
rapid advances.

To reconcile this alternative viewpoint: I think the main thing that almost
everyone misses is that "alien intelligence" can and has already arrived in
a NON-physical way. There is a middle ground in the UFO argument, and a
suspicion that a superior form of intellect is here and yet at the same time
that there has never was a "real" spacecraft responsible for getting it
here. ("real" in the sense of being manufactured from physical elements and
travelling through three dimensional time).

IOW, an intelligent entity can easily be present and active without physical
means of transport, and in fact ask yourself this: why would "they" or "it"
(when ET acts as an entity) chose a far more costly and less effective way
to visit?

Yes, it may be expedient to the goals of ET to "infect" the minds of
susceptible humans - in order for those humans to convey to other humans the
truth... even of an alien existence, but usually another more important
truth - but "truth" itself still remains a fluid mental construct, or in the
case of crop circles - a hint of "the other".

BTW - It has been long realized, going back to antiquity, that these aliens
like to play "the trickster" at times. But also - for thousands of years the
susceptible humans, the "contactees" as it were, have been treated with more
respect, and were once called "prophets" or "savants" ... but nowadays they
get thoroughly Dangerfielded.

In fact, in a few hundred years, if we can avoid self-destruction (with
'their' help) then this route is probably the way that we will chose to
spread our contribution to this "migratory process" of meme transfer though
space and time and outward - well beyond our own physical horizons ...

... kinda like the "folding time" metaphor, if your are into Sci-Fi but with
the twist that "they" always become "us".

Jones