-----Original Message-----
From: mix...@bigpond.com

Is it possible that there is an unknown CF mechanism at work in the universe
creating extra D? ;)

Such a mechanism would have to be "unknown" since according to Wiki there is
no known ongoing mechanism to create deuterium, and the amount we see all
comes from initial condition. What did you have in mind for this mechanism?

In the "unknown category" there is speculation, and one mechanism for
creation involves dark matter. I have a minority perspective on this too,
which I will include at the end, but it is not exactly an ongoing mechanism.

To paraphrase Wiki: Deuterium is unlike helium-4 which is very stable and
constantly increasing, whereas deuterium is marginally stable and easy to
destroy, so there should be net decrease over time.... One consequence of
this is that unlike helium-4, the amount of deuterium is very sensitive to
initial conditions. The denser the universe is, the more deuterium gets
converted to helium-4 before time runs out, and the less deuterium remains.

There are no known "post-Big Bang" processes which would produce significant
amounts of deuterium. Hence observations about deuterium abundance suggest
that the universe is not infinitely old, which is in accordance with the Big
Bang theory.

... The problem is the concentration of deuterium is too high to be
consistent with a model that presumes that most of the universe consists of
protons and neutrons. If one assumes that all of the universe consists of
protons and neutrons, the density of the universe is such that much of the
currently observed deuterium would have already been burned into helium-4.

After a decade of effort, the consensus is that processes to produce
deuterium are unlikely, and the explanation now used for the abundance of
deuterium is that the universe does not consist mostly of baryons, and that
non-baryonic matter (also known as dark matter) makes up most of the matter
mass of the universe. By implication some could be converted into deuterium.

END of paraphrase.

This being show-and-tell day, my minority perspective on this subject, which
is borrowed from a number of sources, is that there was NO single big bang
at all. Instead (while having a similar effect) there have been an ongoing
succession of little bangs, in an infinite universe. The little bang is the
lifetime feature of any "supercluster complex", defined as all the galaxies
and stars which are blue-shifted relative to the observer.

There can be hundreds of "local groups" (clusters of 50-100 galaxies) in
each "supercluster complex" (SCC) all blue-shifted, but each and every one
of these SCC are red-shifted relative to every other one. In effect, each
SCC is in its own fractal (fractional dimension) and is spatially
independent of the other SCC. An adjoining (very old) SCC can collapse and
re-expand without affecting neighbors since every fractal is dimensionally
isolated. Each of these SCC has a shorter lifetime than the present age of
the universe. This can explain why there can be lots of deuterium
(comparatively) in some of the cooler local groups, like our Milky Way. A
hotter or denser galaxy, even in our SCC, could have almost no deuterium
since it was converted to helium early on.