Terry Blanton wrote:

BLP's direct energy conversion basis (thanks MC!):

. . .

http://www.blacklightpower.com/pdf/EngineeringPresentation.pdf

This document, "Blacklight Power Engineering Presentation," March 2010, describes three different systems that appear to be under development. Terry asks:

80% efficient including hydrolysis.  Why bother with a thermal cycle at all?

That's my question. Are they developing the first 2 in case #3 does not work? I cannot think of any other reason. These slides should address this question, because on the face of it, it seems utterly stupid to be developing three different systems when the third one has so many advantages. Systems 1 and 2 look immensely complicated and expensive. Here is the text from slide 2, QUOTE:

Hydrino-Based Engineered Power Systems

Chemistries and engineering designs have been developed using the corresponding experimental parameters for power and regeneration for two thermal-Rankine systems and a direct electric system. * One comprises a multi-tube thermally interacting bundle of cells wherein cells producing power provide heat to those undergoing regeneration. As a system, the power output is constant. The capital costs are projected to be about $1400/kW electric. * The other comprises an array of reactors wherein power and regeneration chemistries occur synchronously, and each cell outputs constant power. The capital costs are projected to be about $1050/kW electric. * A third design called CIHT utilizes many options of tested chemistry and comprises the direct production of electrical power from the formation of hydrinos. The capital costs are projected to be about $25/kW electric with no infrastructure requirements, and the system is deployable for essentially any application at any scale.

End QUOTE

It is plausible that this works with "any application at any scale" and it is 50 times cheaper than the other two. Oil-fired internal combustion engines fit that description pretty well. So I am prepared to believe it. But he should address the obvious question this raises: WHY MAKE ANYTHING ELSE?

For some reason these slides are protected and cannot easily be converted to text. You have to do annoying, time consuming conversions. I wonder what motivates BLP to put the slides in this format, making the information available yet not available. It is visible yet difficult to copy and quote. This kind of behavior is typical of people suffering from The Inventor's Disease (a.k.a. "own worst enemy" syndrome). Much else about this site, and about Mills, give me the impression that Mills suffers from this syndrome. He has made promises of multi-megawatt reactors by such and such a date, and then when nothing happens he offers no reasons. I disagree with Jones Beene. I do not think that Mills owes his readers an "apology" for this. R&D is always harder than you hope. Things take longer and cost far more. Mills has no reason to apologize, but to maintain credibility he should admit that dates have slipped, and explain why.

I have looked up some of the power companies he has contracted with in the U.S. seem small and incapable of operating the kind of equipment he proposes to sell. They appear to be "mom and pop" small local power companies.

There is a lot else wrong with this web site. I do not mean technically or scientifically wrong. I mean wrong from the Public Relations (PR) point of view. I can see why people get a bad impression. It seems amateur. It is evasive, and squirrely. Not what you expect from a company that has attracted tens of millions of dollars of investment capital. They should hire a PR firm. Either that, or shut the web site down and stop trying to communicate.

Mike Carrell may disagree, but as I said, I think Mike has calibrated his standards for so long with Mills he no longer recognizes abnormal behavior. He think that outrageous arrogance is "just confidence in his own insight." As I said, it would not be outrageous arrogance if Mills were a movie star, but in the context of academic science his style is much too bold, and he has cried wolf too often, and lost credibility.