Dennis Cravens sent me some ideas about an experiment he proposes to do. It is a demonstration intended to convince the public that cold fusion is real. The information has been somewhat fragmentary; I do not fully understand it, and I may be confusing two different experiments. Assuming I have it right, the demonstration would be along the following lines:

This is similar to Arata's experiment. Deuterium gas is loaded into a palladium alloy powder. The powder produces heat without input.

Cravens reports that the powder works better at high temperature, which is often the case with cold fusion. It produces produces 0.25 W/g at 300°C down and 0.01 W/g at 20°C. It is not clear to me what temperature he proposes to run this test at. He has described a poorly insulated glass cell. I do not understand why he would select this when a better insulated cell would drive the temperature higher.

He intends to employ a 400 g sample, which takes up a volume of ~400 mL. If I understand correctly he expects this will produce roughly 4 W of heat. He intends to convert heat into electricity with a thermoelectric device, with 2% efficiency producing ~0.08 W. The electricity will drive something like an LED. This is a proof of principle demonstration that cold fusion can produce useful energy.

The thermoelectric device is a small spherical Seebeck calorimeter that completely surrounds the cell. Like all Seebeck calorimeters this functions as both a calorimeter and a miniature generator. Cravens claims that this device is extremely precise and can detect 3 mW. (I do not know whether this refers to precision or accuracy, or both. I have seen a photo of the device but I know little about it.)

The experiment will be conducted in a small room with constant temperature HVAC, so a flowing water envelope for background temperature is not needed.

Cravens refers to this as a demonstration of engineering breakeven, as opposed to scientific breakeven. He writes: "I don't see any use in redo scientific breakeven to 'prove' it to others. That has been done many times over."

I do not think this is a good design for a demonstration experiment. I fear it will not be convining, especially to people who are not familiar with the field. I think that a simpler experiment would not only be more convincing but it would also take less effort and expense. I have several objections to this plan:

1. I do not think this "has been done many times over." On the contrary, nothing remotely like this has been done with gas loading, and nothing at such high power levels with any technique has been made public. This is 4 W steady output with no input. Storms and others have told me that they struggle to achieve 1 W of output, which usually fluctuates. Previous Arata-style gas loading experiments have been at much lower power levels. The first set of experiments published by Arata and Kitamura used inadequate and unconvincing calorimetry. Arata apparently made large over-estimates of the chemical energy release, and therefore, presumably, of the cold fusion energy release that followed it. (Rothwell and Storms).

There have been a few experiments at power levels higher than this. In France, Fleischmann and Pons ran many cells at much higher power levels but these cells required input power; very few people were allowed to observe the cells; and only a little, rather sketchy experimental data was published. Energetics Technologies has occasionally observed power levels as high as 20 Watts in a few cases in heat after death mode. These experiments have not been conducted publicly, although thanks to "60 Minutes" Robert Duncan observed them and he confirmed that the methodology is correct.

2. I think this is the wrong kind of calorimeter for a demonstration. Rather than measuring this 4 W heat flow with a Seebeck calorimeter capable of detecting 3 mW, I think it would be better to use a conventional temperature-based calorimeter such as the ones used by Melvin Miles, McKubre or Energetics Technologies. I say this for several reasons:

As a general rule, a mensuration technique should be roughly proportional to the scale and quality of the value you are trying to measure. If you want to show the difference between a block of wood 4 cm and one that is 6 cm long, you should use an ordinary ruler. You should not use a hand-held micrometer with 0.001 mm precision.

The claim that this calorimeter can measure 3 mW is in itself controversial, and will add to the controversy rather than reduce it. This is what Langmuir called a "claim of great accuracy," one of the criteria of pathological science. Langmuir's hypothesis is only a rule of thumb, but it has some validity. In this case great accuracy is not even called for, making it even more questionable.

The extreme accuracy of this calorimeter interferes with other aspects of the experiment, particularly with the need for a qualitative demonstration, explained below.

3. I recommend a conventional, temperature-based method.

Four watts is a very large heat flow by the standards of calorimetry. It can be measured easily, with high confidence, using one of the simple, classical, first-principle methods. No one can dispute such methods.

I recommend the use of both high precision electronic temperature measuring devices and also mercury thermometers to measure cell temperature and ambient temperature.

The constant temperature room should allow good accuracy. It is particularly advantageous because it does not require the use of a flowing water reference temperature. The cell can be exposed to air. With a small (half liter) insulated cell, the surface area should be small enough that the heat from the outer wall will be palpable (that is, sensible). A person observing the cell will be able to feel the heat coming from it with the palm of his hand. This gives the observer qualitative proof that the heat is real. The calorimetry provides quantitative proof.

The Seebeck calorimeter that Cravens proposes to use looks fairly large to me. It has to envelop the entire cell. My guess is that 4 W would not produce palpable heat on the outer surface of it, but I do not know this.

It is possible to fake something like an 80 mW LED. This could be driven by a small battery hidden in a half-liter cell. A skeptic with a suspicious attitude may suspect something like this. It is utterly impossible to fake palpable heat.

Conventional techniques allow the use of a well insulated container, which lets you raise the temperature as high as you like using only the heat from the reaction. (You may need an auxiliary heater to trigger the reaction at first.) This would probably not be a transparent cell. It need not be transparent as long as it is small enough and light enough that a chemical device of the same mass, such as a battery or Sterno can, will soon run out of fuel.

Heat is proof that energy is being released, according to the laws of thermodynamics. I do not think any scientist will dispute this. This was the same proof of energy release cited by the Curies when they discovered heat from radium. Cravens has called this "scientific proof" rather than "engineering" proof. I quibble with that. This is a proof of principle demonstration that cold fusion can be used for space heating, cooking or other heat processing. That is just as important as electric power generation. A large fraction of the heat generated from fossil fuel is used for space heating and heat processing.

An object that remains palpably warmer than the surroundings is as convincing as anything can be. Lighting an LED with thermoelectric power will not enhance credibility. On the contrary, I think it would actually reduce credibility because it gives the impression that the person doing the experiment does not understand thermodynamics. This is the sort of convoluted, unnecessarily complex experiment that nonscientists are prone to do, especially people making dubious over-unity energy claims such as the people at Steorn. Obviously, Cravens fully understands thermodynamics! But an observer who knows nothing about him might get the wrong impression.

While I recommend simpler temperature-based calorimetry I will grant that Seebeck calorimetry might also be convincing. However, it should only be done with a commercial off-the-shelf Seebeck calorimeter with known characteristics, such as the Thermonetics device. When you make your own unique calorimeter, the person evaluating the experiment has to believe both the experiment itself and also your ability to build a calorimeter. Cravens says that his calorimeters are better than the Thermonetics unit, or the Seebeck calorimeters made by Storms. This may be so, the point is to use an instrument that other people are familiar with and already have confidence in, to reduce the burden of proof, you might say.

4. The design of the experiment and calorimetry are vitally important. Obviously only Cravens can decide them. I am only recommending a general approach: temperature-based measurements rather than thermoelectric conversion (Seebeck), for the reasons listed above. As I said, a wide variety of temperature-based calorimetry is available and Cravens should use whatever works best with this particular material and cell design. However, beyond the experiment itself, it is also important to present the information in such a way that it can easily be accessed, and in a format that is understandable and appears credible to scientists. I think that Cravens has given insufficient consideration to this. Some of his previous papers were not adequate. He does superb research but he does not present the information in a way that other people can easily understand. He should collaborate with someone who is more skilled at writing and presenting information (such as me). Martin Fleischmann nominated Cravens' work as the "best in conference" at ICCF-4, and the others there agreed, yet many people are unaware of this body of work, and others do not appreciate it. I think this is mainly because it has not been published often enough, not published in detail, and not described well.

The use of an LED strikes me as a stunt, and I think that many scientists will see it that way. It detracts from the seriousness of the experiment. He is considering the use of video cameras and other high-tech methods of disseminating data. I recommend Cravens conduct an ordinary experiment using standard, conventional instruments and techniques, and he should further:

Report the results in an ordinary scientific paper with copious electronic data to back up the claim.

Invite a small number of highly qualified people such as Robert Duncan to observe the experiment directly and to write independent evaluations.

Publish the results in the next ICCF conference proceedings, the CMNS discussion group (which is closed to the public), Vortex (which is open), ICMNS.org, LENR-CANR.org, and in various other places so that anyone can find them easily.

Publish a short video on YouTube. Video is a great idea but doing too much of it can become a distraction, and I do not suppose a real-time camera or data stream would enhance credibility much.