Hi,
It's in fact thanks to you that I discovered Mathis's work, when
researching your precession question. So I thank you, too.

He seems to be a kind of contemporary Newton, yes. I suppose he'll
perdure. Time will tell. I don't like his mechanistic ideas, although I
agree that it's convenient to have a mechanistic approach first, and
only when that shows its limitations move on to other models and ideas.
Always make things /as simple as possible/, /but not simpler/. I agree
also with Physics being a fundamentally mechanical science, not
mathematical delusions, diversions, or perversions.

I don't like his expansion model for gravity, at all. I understand that
his model can probably be made to work if you add a repulsive
electromagnetic component, which keeps bodies apart against the
gravitational "apparent attraction", but I find expansion ideas an
unnecessary (and unbelievable, frankly) burden.

Gravitation can probably be understood in terms of wave interactions. I
think than we can imagine a normally repulsive (due to emission) field,
that when encountering another similar field, manifests
attraction(coalescence and accretion, actually) due to the appearance of
a kind of interference pattern between the fields. That interference
pattern would model a force field, and that force field will cause
gravitational acceleration.

In my theory, gravity is then always the result of an interaction, never
the result of a single field. But of course you need something like
waves, not particles, to make it work. My model explain the
repulsive-attractive (i.e. elastic) nature of the field at solar system
levels as deviations in the interference pattern, which in one direction
cause attraction, and in the other, repulsion.
To see what I mean, take by example a function like the square root, and
apply it to a distance between bodies, normalized in the form that 1 is
the equilibrium distance. The square root of 1 is 1, and you'll have
stable equilibrium. The square root of any number greater than 1 tends
to 1, that is, to equilibrium. And the same happens with any number
smaller than 1. So you have an effect that(and between a certain range,
of course), independently of the initial distance being greater or
smaller than the equilibrium distance, tends to the equilibrium
distance. Temporary divergences from equilibrium will be due to the
inertia of the bodies, and to perturbations. That means that, given
enough time, and provided that the interacting fields are mantained, all
orbits would decay into circular orbits. That is gravity working at the
celestial level. At the planetary levels, bodies fall to the center of
the planet because they are completely overwhelmed by the local field on
the Planet, which is again the result of the interacting fields at the
celestial level. That means that Earth's gravity, by example, is not a
consequence of the mass of the Earth, but conversely, the (accreted)
mass of the Earth is a consequence of Earth's gravity. The field was
first, and the accretion came later, provided that the field entered or
directly formed in a zone with matter to accrete. By the way, so called
dark matter is no more that a consequence of insufficient accretion,
that is, fields that are devoid of matter at the moment.

All very nice, but what is missing are the fields themselves! what are
those fields? from where they originate? are they internal to the solar
system or external? are they the result of "space pressure"? are they a
result or manifestation of the turbulence of a dark fluid? what is then
that dark fluid? and how exactly it interacts with normal matter? what
are the formulas to describe those interactions? etc etc.