At 12:59 AM 10/28/2010, fznidar...@aol.com wrote:
The video is pretty good considering that it was done with no money and no help. It is a fine job I believe. Lane is a quick study and I am learning more. In the end it does not matter because
cold fusion has died with the cancellation of the ACS meeting.

Why sweat the details, no one is watching any more.

Has the ACS cancelled a meeting? Is this a confusion over the APS cancelling the publication of the volume of papers from the APS session on cold fusion etc.?

As I see the field of cold fusion, it's almost over, all but the shouting. The skeptical position is dead, as far as publication in journals is concerned, but positive publication continues at a pace that is roughly four times that of the nadir in 2004-2005.

I'm sure there will be some last-ditch efforts to head this off. But realize that the best skeptical position published recently has been that of Kirk Shanahan, as a letter commenting on the Marwan/Krivit review published last year in Journal of Environmental Monitoring. The editors allowed the scientists whose work had been reviewed by Marwan and Krivit to respond, and they tore Shanahan's flimsy arguments to shreds. And then Shanahan is complaining that the editors would not allow him a second response.

And why should they? They printed the first response, my guess, because it was the best they got.

Over the last five years, there have been 17 positive reviews of cold fusion, printed under peer review, in mainstream peer-reviewed journals or other publications as listed by Dieter Britz, excluding one journal with a series of reviews that is dedicated to "neglected science."

There have been no negative reviews in that period.

When does it become obvious that something shifted, somewhere around 2004-2005?

Cold fusion has not died, and it will not die because skeptics manage to win some battle here and there. They can, by this time, only succeed in environments where they can operate behind the scenes. They may be able to negatively impact funding for some time. They may be able to successfully oppose the publication of a collection of papers in the field, as probably happened with the APS volume. But that's of little importance. They are trying to stick their fingers in holes in the dike, when, in fact, the damn thing is collapsing.