Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

Jed, you apparently didn't read the message I sent on this in response to one of your earlier posts.

Thermite provides sufficient energy density, consumes no air, and produces only solid ash.

I did miss that. Thermite burns very rapidly and produces extremely high temperatures. That is what is for. It also produces dense smoke which would be immediately obvious. I do not think slow burning thermite exists. Also, no common chemical is as energy dense as gasoline, kerosene or butane. If thermite were more energy dense, they would use it for rocket fuel instead of kerosene.

I'm sure there are other reactions, though, and cleverer constructions, so perhaps a few times longer might be achieved.

I do not think there are.

There may be some hypothetical methods, but as a practical matter for a con-man (not a genius) there are none.