Here is a letter I just sent to four editors at Wiley, with a copy to Steve
Krivit. I suppose Krivit may not be pleased with it. Let me explain some of
the background below the message --

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To Author Services Editors --

I do not know the right person to address this to. I would appreciate it if
one of you would forward this message.

I recently attended the 16th International Conference on Condensed Matter
Nuclear Science, Chennai, India, February 6 -11, 2011. “Condensed Matter
Nuclear Science” is another name for cold fusion, also known as the
Fleischmann-Pons effect.

During this conference, Stephen Krivit (http://www.newenergytimes.com/)
announced that Wiley has commissioned him to write a textbook on cold
fusion. This raised some concerns among experts in the field. Krivit has
made valuable contributions by editing technical compilations. He and Marwan
did a superb job co-editing the "Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions Sourcebook"
(American Chem. Soc. and Oxford U. Press). He has written non-technical
journalistic reports, and with the help of scientists he has written
semi-technical articles for the general public. If his plan is to farm out
textbook chapters to scientists, it should go well. However, he gave the
impression he is planning to write the material himself. He is not qualified
to do this.

He refused to discuss his plans with the scientists at the conference, so
they do not know what he and Wiley intend to do.

Most of the leading experts were there at the conference, and some offered
to contribute or assist. He rebuffed their offers rather rudely, which left
everyone wondering who, if anyone, he intends to work with.

One of the professors at the conference pointed out that writing a textbook
chapter is the culmination of years of effort. A textbook author must:

- Have a professional scientific background
- Perform the experiment
- Teach university students about the experiment for several semesters
- Use the class notes and experience teaching to write the chapter

Krivit does not meet any of these criteria. To be blunt, he sometimes makes
amateur mistakes when describing technical issues. The experts fear that if
he writes the text, the book may have many errors and misrepresentations.

If your plan is to have professional scientists write this textbook, with
Krivit coordinating and editing, then I am sure everyone in the field will
welcome this contribution.

Sincerely,

Jed Rothwell
Librarian, http://lenr-canr.org/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is self-explanatory. But let me add a few details that will, perhaps,
make it clearer why I sent this message. I would not normally do such a
thing, because it is none of my business and I do not care what Krivit or
anyone else does with his time, or what Wiley plans to do. In this case,
however, I along with several other people at the conference got the
impression that Krivit is either crazy, or he is Up To Something Nefarious.

Let me explain, and let me again emphasize that this illustrates that if you
had the comedy movie rights to cold fusion you could earn millions.

Krivit explained first that he has been to visit Richard Garwin, who is not
such a bad apple after all, and might be helpful to the field. Then he said
he has been commissioned to write a textbook on cold fusion by Wiley. This
is a prestigious company and it is highly unlikely they would commission a
technical volume from someone who does not understand exponential notation,
so the listeners began to suspect  that the two events might be connected.
Garwin might have put Wiley up to this. We do not trust Garwin's motives.

We suppose this is a plan to hatch Taubes II, attacking researchers in the
field, and claiming that cold fusion is not fusion but the researchers are
conspiring and publishing fake data to make people think it is.

In this message I describe Krivit's behavior as "rather rude." That is
putting it mildly. just after his announcement I went up to him and asked
"do you have the authors lined up? Who are you going to farm the chapters
out to?" He turned away so I tapped him on this shoulder and repeated the
question. He stalked off, as if I did not exist. Come to think of it, he did
not say a word to me during the entire conference. I did not attach any
importance to this. In this field one gets used to moody behavior and
eccentric people.

However, it turns out that he pulled this stunt with several scientists as
well. McKubre, naturally, but also several that Krivit has not attacked in
his webpage. Or at least, not yet. One of them, who assumed he was on good
terms, asked, "Do you have outline for this textbook yet?" Krivit barked
back: "Are you talking to me?!" The conversation went downhill from there.
The scientist gathers he does not have an outline yet.

Asking around, it seems that he insulted, alienated or ignored just about
every person who is qualified to write a chapter in a textbook. He has not
asked anyone I know to write a chapter, and I know just about everyone. So I
suppose he intends to either write the chapters himself, or he is out
gathering a panel of distinguished experts such as Robert Park and Richard
Garwin to write the chapters instead. That's all we need! Yet another
compendium of nonsense attacks from a major publisher.

I do not expect an answer from Wiley. It would set my mind at ease if they
tell me this is a figment of Krivit's imagination, and no such textbook has
been commissioned. I doubt that even Krivit has that much chutzpah. I
suppose they really have commissioned him. It would set my mind at ease if
Krivit or the editors would reassure me that a reasonable group of experts
is being assembled to write the chapters. As things stand, I expect a rotten
book will be published.

Anyway, my main reason for writing was exactly as stated in the title:
I thought I should warn Wiley that most experts in this field have some
deep-seated concerns.

Unlike Krivit I never do things surreptitiously and I always make my
motivation as clear as I can. He probably will not believe me, but when I
praised him in the third paragraph, I meant every word. I would would be
genuinely pleased if he intends to have experts write a textbook. He is
better qualified than I am to do something like this.

I might have sent this message to the editors alone, without telling Krivit
and without making it public. That would probably save me a lot of trouble.
But I would consider that underhanded, and unfair to him. He deserves to
know what I and others think of his project. Or at least, what our
impression of it is. Perhaps he will correct our misunderstandings and sooth
our fears. Or, if not, I rather hope that he considers me so far beneath
contempt that he will ignore this message, just as he ignored me in person
at the conference. Perhaps that is a forlorn hope.