Hi,
[snip]
>I believe there was a statement by Rossi that there was no residual
>radiation, so this should rule out 59Ni in the leftovers.

The radiation from 59Ni may be difficult to detect, as most of the time it
decays via EC directly to the ground state (no gamma), with the neutrino taking
the energy. (See http://atom.kaeri.re.kr/cgi-bin/decay?Ni-59%20EC). The very
small amount of positron decay would be mostly stopped by the lead shielding,
and if the initial reaction of 58Ni were rare anyway, then it might be lost in
the background.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html