On Mar 1, 2011, at 11:47 AM, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

Hi,
[snip]
I believe there was a statement by Rossi that there was no residual
radiation, so this should rule out 59Ni in the leftovers.

The radiation from 59Ni may be difficult to detect, as most of the time it decays via EC directly to the ground state (no gamma), with the neutrino taking the energy. (See http://atom.kaeri.re.kr/cgi-bin/decay?Ni-59%20EC). The very small amount of positron decay would be mostly stopped by the lead shielding,

IIRC, statement was in regard to the cleanliness of the process, i.e. the ash. The lead shielding during operation is irrelevant. There should be no difficulty detecting 59Ni.

and if the initial reaction of 58Ni were rare anyway, then it might be lost in
the background.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html

You must be well behind the list in your reading. The above was superceded by the following post: