OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson wrote:

I trust the government most of the time, in most situations.
It is no worse than General Motors or Toyota, and much better
than most Wall Street investment firms.
...except in Wisconsin.

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties.

See? There's one of them "situations" I had in mind.

WMD in Iraq was another.

I do not advocate giving Uncle Sam lifetime blanket trust, no questions asked, no matter what the subject. You can usually tell when something is suspicious, or at least, when the government has a motive to lie.

In retrospect, Three Mile Island was a failure of government integrity, although industry was more culpable. There was plenty of blame to go around. I think that's true of cold fusion. The researchers are more sinned against than sinning, but some of them bear a small portion of blame for this fiasco.