From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 3:44 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Latest Rossi news at PESN

I wrote that if I were Rossi, I would inform the NRC and ask for an operating
license for a nuclear
fusion reactor. I'm not kidding, I would! Two reasons:

1. I am stickler for the rules. This is a nuclear reactor, after all.

2. As Noone Noone points out, it is a win-win situation. If they say "yes" they
acknowledge that
cold fusion is a real nuclear effect, and if they say "no" . . . they also
acknowledge that cold
fusion is a real nuclear effect. What else can that mean? The only bad answer
is "leave us alone;
don't bother us with a fake device." That's not too bad either. No harm.

The worst that can happen is the NRC tells you cannot operate this nuclear
reactor in the U.S. So,
you inform the mass media that Uncle Sam agrees you have a nuclear reactor. You
pack it up, ship it
to Greece, and test it there instead.

Win-win!

As I said before, as far as I know, the NRC would not think of confiscating the
thing. They have no
right do to that. If it were radioactive some other agency might confiscate it.
I wouldn't know
which one. I guess the state of Florida Dept. of Health:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environment/radiation/radmat1.htm

The NRC's role and responsibilities can be found at http://nrc.gov
<http://nrc.gov/materials/sp-nucmaterials.html>

QUOTE

"The NRC regulates peaceful use of special nuclear material through licensing
and oversight of
licensee operations."

See the page "how we regulate":

http://nrc.gov/about-nrc/regulatory.html

Nothing resembling confiscation here. The closest thing is that they can ask
questions and demand
answers: "Generic  <http://nrc.gov/about-nrc/regulatory/gencomms.html>
Communications - sending
applicants and licensees information about events or requests for information
about regulatory
requirements, some of which require response." They can conduct investigations,
which perhaps means
they can issue something like a search warrant.

My guess is that no laws or regulations in the U.S. cover the use of a 1 MW
nuclear fusion reactor
manufactured by a private company. It is without precedent, and the bureaucracy
will have no earthly
idea how to deal with it. For that reason it will probably be invisible to the
bureaucracy.