Dennis wrote:

It would still be in his best interest to fully disclose his methods in a patent application
(to the degree there was no undo experimentation required by others).
Anything else would lead to a very rough and uncertain road.

Anything else would be a waste of time, in my opinion. He might as well just give it away as try to keep it a trade secret. As he himself said: "Sooner or later we will get competition, and nothing will stop this. It would be like try to stop the Niagara Falls with an umbrella." That is bound to happen before big profits roll in, so there is no point in using the trade secret approach.