At 05:08 PM 3/11/2011, Jones Beene wrote:
From: Alan J Fletcher

There is at least ONE fake configuration (Boron burned in Air) which is NOT eliminated in the 18-hour February trial.
Alan –

Reminder : This a theoretical study.  It puts upper limits on EVERYTHING.

No way. Boron is way too toxic. The body count would have been extreme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron

Health issues

Elemental boron and borates are non-toxic to humans and animals (approximately similar to table salt). The LD 50 (dose at which there is 50% mortality) for animals is about 6 g per kg of body weight. Substances with LD50 above 2 g are considered non-toxic. The minimum lethal dose for humans has not been established, but an intake of 4 g/day was reported without incidents, and medical dosages of 20 g of boric acid for neutron capture therapy caused no problems. Fish have survived for 30 min in a saturated boric acid solution and can survive longer in strong borax solutions. [96] Borates are more toxic to insects than to mammals. The boranes and similar gaseous compounds are quite poisonous. As usual, it is not an element that is intrinsically poisonous, but toxicity depends on structure. [8] [9]

Further – problem is that boron combustion is not easy – and boron CANNOT be started in air.

Is there an oxygen tank anywhere? I don’t think so, so how are you going to start it? Not to mention the extreme toxicity. Boron is completely out of consideration.

I'm still working on the energy density calculations for compressed and liquid oxygen.
I SUSPECT that a Boron/LOX fake  would pass the February test.

IOW - boron will burn if air with lots of heat, once it has been started in pure oxygen, but not before…

Well, we run a 1KW electric heater for half an hour before the reactor 'ignites' !!!!

and is extremely toxic to boot.

See above

Alan

ps This discussion is EXACTLY why I adopted my extreme position.