http://www.opednews.com/articles/The-Fusion-Revolution-by-Christopher-Calder-110409-21.html

Fairly good summary.

> Christopher Calder is an advocate for world food supply security with no financial interest in any energy related business.

Unlike the notoriously flawed "cold fusion" experiments using deuterium and palladium conducted by Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann in 1989, Rossi's invention is decidedly "hot" in that the reactor yields generous amounts of reliable heat. The reaction is so powerful that even a first year engineering student could easily measure the E-Cat's healthy net energy gain. We therefore know with certainty that the E-Cat's energy is real and not an illusion created by measuring error, a possibility that haunted the work of Pons and Fleischmann. In some tests E-Cats have continued to produce stable heat output for very long periods of time even after all energy inputs were switched off.

Sherlock Holmes would ask what are the odds that Rossi, Focardi, and Levi could all go insane at the same time, deciding to throw away their reputations, careers, and scientific legacies by endorsing a fraudulent energy scheme. How could a public test closely observed by 50 scientists be faked? The E-Cat produced so much energy that if the power had come from the wall socket, the power cord would have melted. No tiny hidden battery could have possibly unleashed so much energy, and the small amount of hydrogen gas consumed during the reactor test was independently measured at less than 1 gram, thus simple combustion is ruled out as an energy source. Overall hydrogen consumption for the E-Cat is estimated at 0.01 grams of hydrogen to produce 10 kilowatt hours of heat. The only reasonable explanation for the excess energy produced is some form of low energy nuclear reaction (LENR). Thus, no matter how improbable it is that Rossi and others have discovered a new field of physics, it must be true according to the practical logic of Sherlock Holmes.