from wikipedia:
Nickel is a naturally magnetostrictive material, meaning that in the
presence of a magnetic field, the material undergoes a small change in
length.[41] In the case of nickel, this change in length is negative
(contraction of the material), which is known as negative
magnetostriction and is on the order of 50 ppm