A temperature difference is not required between the cathode and the reactor
walls to work however there would be one. The wall would be at a temperature
of 600C and the cathode would be at a temperature of 2500C.

It is the very hot temperature of the cathode that allows electrons to
escape the surface of the cathode where high temperatures matter.

But the difference required is electrostatic. The cathode would be emitting
large numbers of negatively charged hydrogen ions; the wall would be at a
neutral electrostatic charge since it is grounded by the water flow and the
structure of the Cat-E itself. But the wall would be seen as positive
electrostatically relative to the negative cathode and negative ions would
flow toward the wall.

The minimum cathode material that could generate hydrogen ions is tungsten.
Usually, thorium is alloyed with tungsten to increase electron emissions.
This may be why Rossi did not want a radiation spectrum taken of the Cat-E
because it would have detected thorium gamma emissions since thorium is
slightly radioactive.

Other low work function elements can be added to the cathode alloy to
increase electron production.

Oxygen also increases the emissions of electrons from a cathode and Oxygen
would naturally migrate from the NiO wall material to the cathode.

The closer the cathode is to the wall, the more hydrogen ions will reach the
wall. With the cathode running completely down its entire length, a long
thin reaction tube is better than a short stubby one to optimize wall ion
capture.

The heater that Rossi has specified in his patent could also serve well as a
cathode. Could it be that ion production by his internal heater also
produces ion activation of the nuclear process, and Rossi doesn’t know it?
It is possible.