As to the question in the subject header, we don't know, without knowing the secrets he's keeping, whether his real reasons are legitimate or not.

As I wrote from the beginning on this, there is no limit to human ingenuity, so "fraud" cannot be ruled out except by the normal process: truly independent examination and probably replication. If Rossi were selling E-Cats, that worked, it would be all over. But he's not, not yet.

It is not unlawful for Rossi to lie about what he's doing, as long as he doesn't lie to investors. So it is possible for some provided information to be misleading. At this point, if he's for real, he has strong motives to distract those who *are* trying like crazy to figure out the secret. And there is no particular value to full disclosure.

And, of course, if he's not for real, if this is fraud, he has even more reason to present confusing information.

What we can rule out, from all the evidence, is experimental artifact, accidental error, mere misinterpretation of results. This is either for real or it is fraud, because all the reasonable error modes are ruled out, it would take seriously active deception. That's about as far as I can go, and I find, from what those I trust have been saying, deception has become pretty unlikely, as to the heat being produced.

"Unlikely" is not "impossible."

But as to any details, deception is still on the table. He has very good reasons to not disclose, even to mislead or distract.

If nothing else, this has smoked out some POV-pushers on Wikipedia, editors who have clearly betrayed their fixed POV, as they push for content that reflects it, on the Energy Catalyzer article.