  From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com]
  Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:18 PM
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Subject: [Vo]:Most objections to cold fusion will not survive
commercialization

  Gene Mallove and I used to say that if we [Hoyt A. Stearns Jr.] ...

   Fear of the unknown. Cold fusion may be dangerous. It is untested. All
forms of nuclear energy are inherently dangerous. (The fact that other
sources of energy are also dangerous is not considered, because people tend
to discount the dangers of existing technology and exaggerate the dangers of
new technology.)

  Fear of economic change and technological progress. People will lose jobs.
The stock market may fall. Our economy cannot survive such large changes.
"Senator, we may not be able to pick up the tab for your reelection
campaign."

  Fear of cold fusion's capabilities. It might be used for a bomb. It is too
powerful to be used responsibly; i.e., "giving humanity cold fusion is like
giving a machine gun to a baby." (Rifkin)

  Fear of other countries. If the Chinese get this they will rule us. (I've
heard this proposed as a reason to prevent R&D, as if we can stop the
Chinese by not developing it ourselves.)

  A strange modern fear of using machines that experts do not fully
understand. "There is no theory to explain how it works, so it might stop
working or explode." (Actually, the experts do not fully understand how
anything works, but they don't admit that to the public.)

  Fear that cold fusion may make things worse. I share this fear. See
chapter 19 of my book. The fact that something might be misused is seldom a
good reason not to use it at all. Usually, advantages outweigh
disadvantages. (Some new weapon systems, and some unstable, dangerous and
unreliable machines cause more harm than good.)

  Fear of authority, and science. This is fashionable these days, with
campaigns against vaccinations and global warming.

  A few other objections can be anticipated:

  It will cost too much. We cannot afford to replace all automobiles and
heaters.

  It will take too long. It will be too little, too late. By the time we
implement it global warming will be upon us. (This is Bjorn Lomborg's
one-size-fits all argument against all solutions to all technical problems.
He always ends up recommending we sit and do nothing.)

  [Hoyt A. Stearns Jr.] ... than good from a PR point of view.