And now, let's add back in the premise of mining the asteroid belt for
virtually unlimited supplies of nickel! What would be the safest way to get
those supplies back to Earth!

Aiming nickel laden asteroids directly at Earth would IMO be a horrible
suggestion, even if each asteroid was strategically slowed down to a less
threatening reentry speed, even if engineering calculated precisely where
each asteroid would reenter our atmosphere over a desolate spot. I wonder
how much would be lost, i.e., burned up in the atmosphere. Could such
reentry operations, particularly if performed on a massive scale contribute
to unnecessary atmospheric pollution and/or other environmental hazards?

I don't like the idea of parking imported asteroids in near-earth orbit
either. After mining operations started (especially if operations focus on
surface mining) this would likely result in incredible amounts of random
grit expelled into adjacent space. All that unwanted grit would randomly
park themselves into nearby earth orbit. It would very likely make space
travel to and from our planet increasingly hazardous.

I also have serious reservations about mining the asteroids out in the
asteroid belt, for similar reasons: Surface mining operations would kick of
considerable grit. Expelled grit would fly out into space. Again, this might
make space travel hazardous, particularly for space freighters trying to
negotiate their way through the belt.

For me, the two most practical solutions that come to mind are:

1) NEVER EVER MINE THE SURFACE OF AN ASTEROID!!!! Always burrow inside and
mine them from within. Also make sure each asteroid has a slow spin
generating a small artificial gravity. That way, all loose grit would not
only be contained within the interior of the asteroid, it would eventually
precipitate out of the interior "space" and land on a nearby wall/floor.
It's also conceivable that internal mining operations would allow for the
possibility of introducing atmospheric pressurization. This might make
mining operations more convenient for miners. The only downside, what to do
with all that extracted and unwanted internal grit! Ya gota park it
somewhere!

2) My best solution: Aim nickel laden asteroids directly at specially
selected craters located on the Moon. These would be deep craters possessing
high walls. Make sure each asteroid has been sufficiently slowed down so
that when they impact the contents won't instantly vaporize. The resulting
impact should only shatter the contents into smaller more digestible pieces
that should be more easily mined. Also most of the resulting asteroid's
eject (from the impact) would be contained within the walls of the crater.
The moon's gravity would quickly take care of all ejected grit, settling it
back to the surface. Mining the asteroid on the surface of the moon makes a
lot of sense to me. The added cost of shipping processed nickel from the
Moon to Earth might not add that much more to overall costs. I suspect it
would be environmentally safer!

---
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com