My mental model of the Rossi process is as follows:

The H- ions are formed close to the surface of the internal heaters filament
when an electron is emitted from the filament and ionizes and splits
hydrogen (H2) into H-.

The H- has a negative charge. It is accelerated by a wire grid charged to
high voltage to a substantial fraction of the speed of light.

The almost all H- ions goes through the wire grid in the direction of the
stainless steel wall were the surface is covered with pure nickel containing
many atomic defects.

The H- ions strike this imperfect nickel surface with great force and the H-
is driven into the atomic defects at high speed.

When the atomic defect is packed with many hydrogen ions a tipping point is
reached and a nuclear fusion reaction produces heat and a variety transmuted
elements.