Hi,
[snip]

From http://atom.kaeri.re.kr/cgi-bin/nuclide?nuc=Ni-62&n=2 one can see that the
cross section for neutron absorption by Ni62 at thermal energies (~ 2E-8 MeV) is
about 14 barn.
Dividing this into the atomic volume of Nickel yields an average travel distance
of about 7.8 mm before absorption takes place.
This will vary depending on the element/isotope involved. (For Ni58 it's about
4.5 barn, and the corresponding distance is about 24 mm).
For B10 it's 3837 barn, and the travel distance is 0.1 mm (taking into account
that B10 is only 20% of Boron).

>Craig,
>
>I don't if this helps, but most metals tend to be relatively transparent to
>neutrons, due to the scattering cross-section which is caused by spin, not by
>anything related to charge. The Coulomb barrier is not involved AFIK with
>neutrons.
>
>A few metals like cadmium will absorb neutrons of the correct velocity to
>nullify spin effects, but in general neutrons must be slowed way-down
>(thermalized) before they can interact with say nickel; and usually they
>easily would escape the reactor long before that happens unless they are
>extremely "cold" - low velocity. Thus the W&L "ULM", which because it is
>cold/slow can stay around longer and have a much better chance of an
>interaction.
>
>IOW the approaching neutron will only interact at a significant rate if it
>extraordinarily slow in velocity.
>
>Jones

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk