At 11:05 PM 5/10/2011, Mark Iverson wrote:
Abd wrote:
"Well, if it were that easy to make neutrons, we'd be making them all the time."

Perhaps not... Spectroscopy is everywhere and its only specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed/emitted. What if the conditions in the lattice are such that there's a harmonic relationship between the electrons and the protons which enhances the probabilities of the two
'fusing' into a neutron...

What if, schmatt if! If neutrons are being formed, we'd expect lots of effects that are not observed. This is one of the huge problems with Widom-Larsen, to my mind. It builds on the transmutation results, as if they were the whole banana, when, in fact, what we know is happening is deuterium --> helium, with very little else involved and observable, reported transmutations being at far lower levels.

Slow-neutrons -> neutron activation -> gammas of known energies. Widom-Larsen waves a magic wand: (the "heavy electrons" -- an unconfirmed effect, as to anything like this -- screen out the gammas with amazing efficiency, they don't even leak around the edges. That's another unconfirmed effect, albeit one that I think they just patented. Does it work? Now that the patent is issued, perhaps Larsen won't be able to hide his experimental results behind "commercial secret," as he did when asked about this, by Garwin, I think.

I find it much simpler, if I'm going to posit a "what if," to think, "What if the conditions in the lattice are such that there is a ... relationship between deuterons (two or more) which enhances the probabilities of them fusing into helium? (and it works much better if it is four deuterons, at least, the lack of radiation *might* be explained). "

Positing this with neutrons, as stated by Mark, is postulating something more complicated, not really making progress in understanding. I.e., one mystery is simply replaced with another.

As to what's really happening, the bottom line is, really, if we are honest, "We don't know."

Except I know, it's reasonable to say, that there is fusion, from the confirmed heat ratio to helium in PdD experiments. Is this the same mechanism, in principle, as in the Ni-H system (which wouldn't produce helium, probably)?

"We don't know." Occam's Razor suggests, "Probably," but OR is never a proof of anything, it's merely a suggested approach.