That explains why Ekstrom provided this link:

Cold fusion: A case study for scientific behavior
http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/0_0_0/cold_fusion_01

This twelve page article uses a check-list of good scientific practice to
explain how Pons and Flieschman practiced bad science, while the rest of the
scientific community practiced good science.

On the last page it says:
"However, there was still a price to pay for this misconduct: time, energy, and
upwards of 100 million tax dollars were squandered on cold fusion."

I wonder where they got that figure!

Harry