>From Jed:

> It does make me wonder how I would respond if I discovered that
> cold fusion is not real, and all those researchers were mistaken
> or fraudulent. I cannot deny I have an emotional investment.
> That event would surely bother me a lot more than, say,
> learning that special relativity is incorrect in important ways,
> or learning that evolution is partly caused by something
> other than Darwinian natural selection. That would be
> interesting but it wouldn't bother me.

If "in the unlikely event..." (...as airline attendants are so fond of
saying) Rossi's Wunder-Cats turn out to be a complete fraud I suspect
it would be a really tough weekend for you, Jed.

I can tell you with absolute certainty it would be a tough weekend for me.

It would be tough for me because I would have to take a long hard look
at my discrimination skills, or more precisely the apparent lack of
them. If I willingly allowed Rossi and his trickery to get past my BS
filters it would throw into question WHY I allowed it to happen. I
would be forced to ask disquieting questions like: Was my desire to
simply believe in Rossi's claims so incredibly out of balance that my
naivety completely overruled any sense of rationality or skepticism I
might have still possessed?

I suspect many within the Vort Collective pride themselves in
believing they possess pretty decent BS filters, this despite the fact
that most here are also willing to explore unproven technology and the
controversial theories that might accompany them. While many of us
occasionally bicker amongst each other as to the veracity of certain
claims, in the end most here I suspect do not care to spend much time
prodding hard-core skeptics - unless it is done as an intellectual
exercise, or perhaps just for amusement. I suspect many of us tend to
look down on hard-core skeptics, i.e. individuals like J. Cude, as
unfortunately flawed in some profoundly intellectual way. But, horror
of horrors, if Rossi turns out to be a sophisticated scam artist, and
we didn't catch that fact before the hard-core skeptics expose the
truth, we would be forced to assess whether our harsh opinion of
hard-core skeptics is really deserving. For some here, to face such a
revelation might be the equivalent of having to confront the
possibility that the world was indeed created in seven days - and any
day now, Yahweh is about to smite all of us sinners into a shouldering
slag pile as His Holy-Laserness teleports the chosen to the promised
Land of Eternal Rationality.

We are unworthy!

Perhaps it is suppressed nightmares like this that help explain why
certain eastern religions like Buddhism and Zen suggest it might be a
useful trait to cultivate a sense of the transient objectivity of
one's surroundings, this despite the fact that these philosophies seem
paradoxically subjective at their core. The point being: The less
attached we allow ourselves to become to our unique collection of
personal vices, the easier it will be to ride out the ensuing storms.
I hasten to add, I'm certainly no Zen-master at this. It's a
day-by-day process.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com