I've noticed that a star will appear slightly brighter when I shift my focus
just to the side of the star.
Harry

How the Action of N Rays Should be Observed
It is indispensable in these experiments to avoid all strain on the eye, all
effort, whether visual or for eye accommodation, and in no way to try to fix
the

eye upon the luminous source, whose variations in glow one wishes to ascertain.
On the contrary, one must, so to say, see the source without looking at it, and
even direct one’s glance vaguely in a neighboring direction. The observer must
play an absolutely passive part, under penalty of seeing nothing. Silence
should

be observed as much as possible. Any smoke, and especially tobacco smoke, must
be carefully avoided, as being liable to perturb or even entirely mask the
effect of the N rays. When viewing the screen or luminous object, no attempt at
eye-accommodation should be made. In fact, the observer should accustom himself
to look at the screen just as a painter, and in particular an "impressionist"
painter, would look at a landscape. To attain this requires some practice, and
is not an easy task. Some people, in fact, never succeed. -- Blondlot