vorl bek <vorl....@antichef.com> wrote:

> I read in some magazine article that in a test, a flaring match
> could be seen at 14 miles.

I think I read something like that. That's the case where there is no other
light, such as a dark night at sea.

During WWII in convoys crossing the Atlantic, passengers and sailors were
sometimes warned that if they lit a cigarette on deck after sundown, they
would be summarily executed. U-boats patrolling the surface could spot
someone lighting a match from far away. Most U-boats stayed on the surface
except for brief periods during attacks or to escape from Allied warships
and aircraft.