At 06:34 PM 6/22/2011, Joshua Cude wrote:
I accept that the input flow rate is constant. But the output *volume* flow rate is very different because at least part of the water changes phase.

If the meter is giving mass per unit volume of the output, you need to know the *volume* of the output to get the mass of the steam. But you don't know the *volume* of the output steam unless you measure the *output* *volume* flow rate.

That RH probe measured directly the wetness of a certain polymer, and relates that to the *density* of water vapor in air. Even if it could give the density of water vapor in steam, we already know that: it's just the density of steam.

There are a lot of people interested in the quality (wetness) of steam, and quite elaborate ways to determine it. If it were possible with a simple RH probe, I should think the manufacturers would advertise that as a useful feature of the device. But they don't.

I'm just quoting this to underscore it. Cude is completely correct here, unless someone comes in from left field and corrects us all, having specific knowledge and especially experience with some estoteric application of an RH meter.