On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>
>  Nevertheless, this report from Kullander and Essen could be interpreted
>> quite in line with what Krivit is claiming:
>>
>> http://www.nyteknik.se/**nyheter/energi_miljo/energi/**article3111124.ece<http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energi_miljo/energi/article3111124.ece>
>>
>> The issue would be whether or not this report was an "endorsement."
>>

> Ah, that report. It does not sound like an endorsement to me. They are
> saying that if the report is real, the discovery is important. Who can argue
> with that? Their only endorsement is the report they wrote after they saw
> the machine.

 On Feb 25, you wrote of the interview:

"Overall it is quite positive!"

And it was. Something positive sounds like an endorsement to me. There are
degrees of endorsement, after all.

>  I'm puzzled by something, by the behavior of Kullander, Essen, and Lewen.
>> There have been some serious objections to their prior reports, such as the
>> apparent assumption that a relative humidity meter can be used to measure
>> steam quality, and the neglect of the possibility that water overflow would
>> be occurring, could actually be expected -- unless some feedback mechanism
>> is operating, which involves varying power to exactly match the allegedly
>> constant water flow -- but they have not responded or clarified their
>> observations or possible errors.
>>

> There are not serious objections. They are nonsense. If the water were
> overflowing the temperature would immediately drop.

No. *That* is clearly nonsense. If the power exceeds the amount necessary to
raise the water to its boiling point, then the temperature could not drop.
That would violate the conservation of energy.

> Whether you can use humidity meter or not is irrelevant. The heat of
> vaporization at 1 atm was measured before such meters were invented, it has
> not changed, and it does not vary enough to make any difference to Rossi's
> conclusions. The high temperature and the steam coming out of the end of the
> hose in Lewan's video prove that the water is being vaporized.

No. It proves that the water is heated to boiling, and that *some* water is
being vaporized. That's different than all the water being vaporized.

> People here who claim that you can produce extremely wet steam at these
> temperatures with 20 times less enthalpy than regular steam should prove
> that. They will win a Nobel prize and revolutionize chemistry and physics.

This is proved in every publication on 2-phase flow I've seen, and none were
written by Nobel laureates.