At 03:13 PM 7/17/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Joshua apparently wrote:

> Well, that's the difference then. But I think you're mistaken.
> Rossi uses a pump designed to maintain a constant flow, and all
> his calculations (including Krivit's video of him calculating
> the power) assume constant flow rate. And if the flow is constant
> at 5 g/s (in the January demo), then 17 kW would have increased
> the temperature of the steam substantially.

This is backward. The heat is computed by measuring the amount of water converted to steam. The steam was just over 100 deg C at 1 atm. Therefore, the amount of energy is what it takes to heat the water to boiling plus what it takes to vaporize it. In the January 14 steam test output was ~12 kW, not ~17 kW. ~12 kW is what it takes to heat and vaporize 5 g of water per second. 17 kW was how much they measured in the Feb. 10 liquid water test, during most of the test.

The displacement pump was used in the steam tests but not the Feb. 10 liquid water test. I believe you set that pump to whatever speed you want, up to some limit.

Cude may be making an obvious error, assuming power figures from one test apply to another. Even if device characteristics were not different, to make the device operate with high flow rate would take presumably higher reactor power input, otherwise the reactor temperature would lower, underr reasonable assumptions. Cude is correct about constant flow rate, though, as being assumed.

On the other hand, Cude's statement is true, as stated. if 12 kW was equilibrium, such that water was being neither boiled away nor running over, 17 kW would have rapidly boiled away all the water, if the flow rate remained the same, so that any new water coming in would be flash vaporized, because the whole cooling chamber would increase in temperature above boiling, and the steam would increase above boiling as well.

Jed, it's important to read statements from critics like Cude very carefully. You can be trapped into rejecting what's true, and it will make you look foolish. I make mistakes like that from time to time, and the only remedy I know is prompt admission, yes, I screwed up.

OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson <<mailto:orionwo...@charter.net>orionwo...@charter.net> wrote:

The thing about Rossi is that he strikes me personally as a seat-of-the-pants kind of engineer. Very observant, spontaneous... and intuitive. I could see how working with Rossi in a research lab would possibly drive other researchers (of the meticulous kind) up a wall because he's probably not in the habit of carefully documenting each and every

single procedural step he is about to take - at least not to the same degree that most scientists and researchers might be inclined to do when exploring uncharted territory.

That is what I have heard about him.

From my POV it is conceivable that Rossi, while monitoring the January
demonstration, might have occasionally adjusted water inflow to help
maintain a consistent volume of water within the reactor core.

No, he adjusts the power.

See, Jed, that could also be fraudulent, though there is an "out." Basically, in the January demo, #2, in what has been published, I see adjustment of the power, turn-on and turn-off of the heater, as I recall. My sense is that the controller is designed to respond to a temperature sensor that reports reactor chamber temperature to the controller, and that it then turns the heater on and off, and it might adjust the current to a temperature to create steady state conditions, i.e., "just right."

However, "just right" in terms of exact full vaporization is difficult to reach, from an engineering perspective, unless there is also feedback reporting to the controller from the cooling chamber, such as a level sensor, or perhaps temperature. If temperature of the cooling chamber were being used, though, we would probably see the operation of the feedback loop, with cycling of the chamber temperature.

What has been reported and used in calculations, then, would be maximum power. Rossi may think it unimportant that the maximum power figure is being used, rather than true input.

Or, remember, maybe he's blowing smoke instead of steam. Jed, I have no fixed opinion on that. All I've noted is that the demonstrations don't show what they purported to show, because of incomplete observation and/or reporting.

He did not change the flow rate in any test. You can tell the flow rate did not change because the pulsing sound of the pump is at the same rate the whole time. You can tell they measured the flow correctly because they used a weight scale, which is the most reliable method.

Jed, you really are not paying attention. If it's true that the sound doesn't change, that doesn't guarantee that the flow rate doesn't change, because there could be valving or obstruction within the E-Cat. These pumps are designed for constant flow, but they cannot maintain it if flow is obstructed. They might or might not change in sound. Yes, the scale method is definitive, but only for the period of time where flow is measured. Lewan's April tests did measure all flow, those are definitive on the flow, but still were not definitive on the disposition of the flow, i.e., there is nothing about Lewan's report that guarantees that all that water was vaporized.