Michele Comitini <michele.comit...@gmail.com> wrote:

All true.  Consider that Milli is somehow considered "alternative",
> not always representative of the family.
>  But yes when you talk about oil business in Italy their name is the
> first on the list.

Well, I hope they take an active interest in cold fusion, and invest in it.

I have long felt that the opposition to cold fusion is weaker than it seems.
It is "a mile wide and an inch deep" as the expression goes. I felt that if
we could just reach out to people, and break through the noise and
distortions in the mass media, we could get more support. Support is likely
to lead to funding.

I realize there are powerful people opposed to the research, especially in
places such as the DoE. Opponents have often torpedoed funding. They stopped
the publication of the ACS book, which was later published here:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/BiberianJPjcondensedc.pdf

People such as Robert Park have often pulled strings to prevent funding.
Others in the establishment say nothing but they tacitly approve of
his shenanigans. As Ed Storms says, Park would have no influence if powerful
people did not agree with him. He is not the head of an agency. The only
thing he has is influence in high places. There is nothing untoward about
that. I wish I had such influence! The point is, this demonstrates that
opposition to cold fusion is widespread. It is a mile wide, as I said.

I have not conducted a public opinion poll of scientists but my impression
is that the skeptics are correct in saying that "the claims are
largely disbelieved in the mainstream scientific community." (Wikipedia)
This is because most people in the mainstream scientific community know
nothing about the subject, so their views do not count. In any other
academic debate no one would dispute this. No one would say, for example:
"Most American literary critics do not speak Japanese and have never heard
of Natsume Soseki so his works have no literary value." They would say the
people who know nothing about Japanese literature have no basis to discuss
any aspect of it.

The editors at most major journals despise cold fusion. It makes them angry,
because they are convinced it is a fraud and a waste of funding. The plasma
fusion people hate it the most. These opponents are all academic scientists.
They despise cold fusion because they are certain it
is theoretically impossible. Not because they fear it might be true! They
are not such fools they would oppose something they think might be true.

I do not know of anyone who opposes cold fusion because they have a vested
interest in oil, solar energy, or some other source of energy. So I am not
surprised that Milli Moratti is interested.

If cold fusion starts to succeed in a big way, then I expect many people in
the fossil fuel industry will begin to fear it. At present, I doubt any of
them do. But they do not confide in me so I wouldn't know.