On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Damon Craig <decra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It irritates me to no end. All the rational evidence we have been presented
> supports the claim that water spills through the outlet.

I have not seen this evidence. There is a mixture of liquid water and
mist/steam at the end of the hose. That's all we know.

> However you wish to hold fast the assurtion (am I correct in this?)  that
> this does not happen, but that liquid water exits as suspended droplets and
> maybe a little sloshing---I don't know how you have exactly formulated your
> concept.
>

> Unless I am mistaken, I don't see that you have commented on the lack of
> controls to ensure that water does not overflow out of the exit,

My comments are not based on the lack of controls. Obviously, water can flow
out of the exit since it does so before the boiling point is reached.

The suggestion (not assertion) that the water leaves as a mist is simply
because

(1) it seems plausible for a mixture that is more than 90% vapor by volume,
because it's hard to reconcile that with an image of water sloshing or
splashing; if you look at the literature for 2-phase flow, the possibilities
are a mist, or annular flow (with water flowing along the walls), or a
mixture of the two, and

(2) because it is clearly in Rossi's interest to generate a mist that can
easily be mistaken for steam (especially if the fluid is examined at the
chimney exit as E & K did), and it would be easy to design the chimney to
generate a mist using a small diameter conduit or a nozzle of some sort.

The important thing, however, is not the exact form of the fluid in the ecat
or chimney, but that there is no evidence presented that more than a
fraction of the water changes phase.

> or that the 'reaction zone'  runs dry under steady state operation.

I have never suggested this, and indeed the flat temperature is compelling
evidence that it never runs dry; that what leaves the reaction zone is a
mixture of liquid and vapor, and therefore is wet.

> As your theory requires (if my asessment of your stance is correct) then
> water will not overflow but can run dry so that all steam evolution over the
> long term will be generated within the horizontal section of Rossi's gizmo.

All the steam generation that happens happens in the horizontal ecat, yes.
But it doesn't run dry. Wet steam is just that: wet. The liquid content can
be more than 90% by mass. Mist is wet, not dry.

> If so, upon what evidence would you claim it will run dry?

None. The evidence indicates it runs wet. Probably very wet.