On Monday, August 08, 2011 8:49 AM Steven Vincent Johnson wrote
[snip] I'm reminded of something Mr. Blanton recently speculated on, that
perhaps
the "secret sauce" angle had been a ruse all along, that the secret has much
more to do with overall geometry of the nickel particles as they interact
with hydrogen. Such a premise does make me wonder.[/snip]

Steven,
        The secret addition may or may not need to be a catalyst if it is the
SHAPE of the Nickel grains and how they
Interlock with each other that is the controlling factor. I suggest the
pyrophoricity of metal powders is also heavily dependent on grain SHAPE and
this is why some metals exhibit this property as fine powders while others do
not. Grain sizes mentioned by Rossi would seem over size for Casimir geometry -
HOWEVER- If it is the SHAPE of these Ni grains and the way the protrusions fit
together as in "packing geometry" than the shape and size of the "additive"
become extremely important because they are not just backfilling between the
existing packing geometry [protrusion] but also creating new geometry as the
additive is almost certainly conductive to the extent needed to form Casimir
boundaries between the protrusions - Like a jar full of toy jacks where the
secret sauce is made of tiny smaller jacks that back fill between the
interlocking spikes of the larger jacks.

IMHO
Fran