I find Jones’ post on "finely divided nickel" exceedingly interesting,
informative, and valuable. For what it is worth, the content and logic of
this post fits in well with my thinking on the Rossi question.

To further the discussion, I believe that the nano-structures that actively
mediate the Ni-H reaction must sit on top of or be welded to a metal
lattice. This rough and rigid surface configuration will ionize the Rydburg
atoms due to the differing and randomized crystal structures of these nickel
nano-protuberances. This double tiered topology would act in a similar
fashion or preform the same function as a spill over catalyst would. That
is, these random crystal outcrops use sharp changes in surface work function
caused by cryptologic variability to electrostatically disrupt and ionize
the hydrogen Rydberg atoms.

There have been reports that Rossi uses big micro grain sized particles as a
lattice support structure to buttress small nano-dimensioned tubule
structures of nickel. This more complex topology would cut down some on the
maximum surface area that would be provided by a single tiered uniform nano
particle topology.

In addition as time goes by through the continuing action of heat, I
speculate that the double tiered nano/micro particles would tend to weld
themselves together at their contact points to form a kind of micro
dimensioned porous metal-foam further reducing the total available surface
area.