What I wanted to say it is that a hive can extend itself for hundreds of
meters or kilometers simultaneously.

Daniel Rocha wrote:

 But there is a crucial difference between dividing in organs and in
> different individuals which is the ability to reach resources. A colony of
> cells cannot do much other dividing tasks among themselves but it cannot
> reach anything beyond its volume or it must count on passively on the
> ecosystem's flow of matter and energy. But a hive can do it by itself
> actively!

So can a mobile animal.

Of course there are huge differences between most colonies and animals . . .
but in some cases the distinction is blurred. A jellyfish is a colony of
cells