Until we know whether Levi turned the flow off along with the heater we will
not know how to calculate this for sure. I also have suspicion that the metal
may get hotter than 550C according to several staments by Rossi and I believe
Defkalion. If the flow is turned off or is only 1g/s it looks like 15 min can
easily be justified. Also even if it 2g/sec steam can still be produced since
metal surfaces will still be at 100C. If there is steam wetness it will appear
that more steam is being produced than really is. But as long as there's heat
transfer from metal at >100C to 100C water there will be some steam produced
(maybe not as much as at power off but some). I took Levi to mean some steam
was produced for 15 min and I accepted he used his judgment to determine when
that ended. So its very possible that all he may have been observing was
thermal inertia. On the other hand, if there's something else going on- some
other heat source, as looks to be evident in K&E demo then the thermal inertia
source may coincide with the anomalous source. For instance if the hydriding
reaction is what is causing the increased slope to temperature rise in the K&E
graph you might get ~1MJ of hydride caused heat being released (~200,000J/mol
and ~1 mol/9g). The reason I wanted to be understood about the thermal inertia
is that good calorimetry will need to take it into account. I believe it has
already been posted to Vortex that time history is important- this is roughly
the same. It will be difficult for us to determine the exact goings-on in
Rossi's device even armed with this since we don't know if he keeps the flow on
(I'm guessing he does), what the rate is (Rizzi may be right about it being at
least halved), the steam is not thoroughly dry, and we don't react have details
of the reactor construction. I have to say that from the K&E report it seems
Rossi might not even be aware that the hydriding that occurs in metals when
packing hydrogen into the lattice is not the chemical hydriding that K&E quote
the enthalpy to but the physical hydriding which releases much more energy. So
now its not clear if that was detected at all. If Rossi understood physical
hydriding and merely hired Levi as an independent, University associated
researcher to try to detect the "self-sustaining nuclear" reaction that would
be observed upon cutting the power he may have baited Levi and hinted that
there might be such a phenomenon relying on Levi's innocence to report
continued steam production. From watching the interviews with Levi it seems he
is not aware of thermal inertia or physical hydriding that contribute to this
"extra steam" and may have been forced to attribute it to a successful cold
fusion demo.