So we need something that ionizises or atomizes the hydrogen molecules, and
something that is very unusual for hydride systems.

If the Rossi reaction turns out to be centered on highly excited hydrogen
atoms...

The bumpy surface of a nickel lattice will “field-ionized” the Rydberg atoms
in a highly excited hydrogen envelope that hug the surface of the
nano-particle.

This phenomenon may be visualized as arising from the interaction of the
Rydberg atom with the electric fields due to its electrostatic “image.”
Compared to a hydrogen atom in the ground state, a Rydberg atom has an
enhanced susceptibility to these fields. This is because the Rydberg
electron experiences a greatly reduced electric field from the ion core due
to their larger average separation.

Polycrystalline metal surfaces of the nickel lattice of large micro
particles will generate inhomogeneous “patch” electric fields outside its
surface.

These electrostatic fields also influence Rydberg atoms, potentially causing
both level shifts and ionization and competing with the more intrinsic image
charge effects. In general, patch fields arise from the individual
nano-grains of a polycrystalline lattice surface exposing different crystal
faces of the individual nano-crystals.

Each of these faces has a different work function due to differing surface
dipole layers.

For example, Singh-Miller and Marzari have recently calculated the work
functions of the (111), (100), and (110) surfaces of gold and found 5.15,
5.10, and 5.04 eV, respectively. These differing work functions correspond
to potential differences just outside the surface beyond the dipole layer.

Consequently, charge density must be redistributed on the surface to satisfy
the electrostatic boundary conditions, producing macroscopic electric
fields.

While patch fields were first discussed extensively in the context of
thermionic emission they are present near polycrystalline metal structures
of any type, including electrodes and electrostatic shields.

A bumpy nickel lattice surface provides Rydberg atoms with the same spill
over ionization function that palladium does for ground state H2 atoms and
it keeps the ionization localized on the surface of the nickel lattice.

If you are interested in this subject read this paper for more theoretical
background:

*http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1008/1008.1533v3.pdf*

To amplify the production of Rydberg atoms, I would use potassium or lithium
catalysts as a dopant in the hydrogen envelope.

Rossi has put together many different mechanisms that all work together to
amplify the cold fusion process. The secret catalyst is only one of his
tricks. It will not function on its own hook unless optimally combined with
all the other mechanisms; the nano surface of the micro particle catalyst
surface preparation being just one.

By the way, Rossi has said many times that no radioactive materials are used
in his reactor.

Best regards,

Axil