At 05:35 PM 10/6/2011, Man on Bridges wrote:
Hmmm, keeps me wondering what would happen if the mice were to be replaced by any other type of rodent or other living being or plants ;-)

The metabolic rate of animals goes up as mass ^ 0.75 ... but then they need more space, so I think smaller is better.

Also : http://www.jstor.org/pss/30158552
Time-averaged sustained metabolic rate at peak lactation reached 7.2 times BMR; this ratio is evidently close to a ceiling on sustained metabolic scope.

Assuming my original 50 kJ/day base and ratio of 7.2 gives a mere 64 liters !!!!