On Oct 12, 2011, at 5:59 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

The answer is been staring at us the whole time. I have been thinking of the Rossi reactor as something like a US water heater where inflow must always equal outflow, because a reservoir is always full. I have been thinking that if the inflow is a steady 0.9 mL/s, the outflow has to be the same. But there is a reservoir that can hold different amounts, unlike a water heater.

This is what I was talking about when I wrote: "The earlier noted flow measurement of 0.9 g/s, by Lewan, was at the output of the water/ steam from the condenser heat exchanger. It might have had nothing to do with with the actual pump rate. It only had to do with the volume of steam being output, which is independent of the volume of water being pumped in - unless overflow is occurring, which seems unlikely at the early stage."

Lewan measured the outflow at 18:57. It was 0.91 g/s. That indicates output power of around 2 kW. Looking at the "power in the vs power out" graph, at 18:57 indicated power was 2.5 kW. Close enough!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ash4/304196_10150844451570375_818270374_20774905_1010742682_n.jpg

Earlier, at 16:51, indicated power was 8 kW.

I show a Pout of 8.073 kW in the spread sheet without correcting bias:

http://www.mtaonline.net/%7Ehheffner/Rossi6Oct2011.pdf

but 8.673 with correcting delta T bias. Here is my graph with bias.

http://www.mtaonline.net/%7Ehheffner/RossiT2Pout.png

Perhaps I should just do away with the bias correction.

If Lewan had measured the outflow at that time he would have found it much faster, 3.5 g/s. We have no idea what average inflow was during this test. It was probably steady the whole time. Probably, at 16:51 when the power was high, the water level in the reservoir was falling, and at 18:54 the water level was rising.

- Jed

It may be that at 16:51 a slug of hot water was affecting the Pout thermocouple, and it 18:54 not so much.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/