On Oct 12, 2011, at 6:46 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Horace Heffner wrote:

This is what I was talking about when I wrote: "The earlier noted flow measurement of 0.9 g/s, by Lewan, was at the output of the water/steam from the condenser heat exchanger. It might have had nothing to do with with the actual pump rate. . . .

So you did say that! You are way ahead of me.

It only had to do with the volume of steam being output, which is independent of the volume of water being pumped in - unless overflow is occurring, which seems unlikely at the early stage."

I don't get what you have in mind about overflowing, and the "slug of hot water" idea. Total enthalpy would be the same whether it overflows or not, wouldn't it? I don't see how it would affect the outlet thermocouple temperature. As I said, putting the thermocouple on the pipe which is a large heat sink will blur out any fluctuations.

Perhaps I should just do away with the bias correction.

How much is your correction? You probably indicate it but I don't see the number. Is at 0.5°C?

- Jed

The bias adjustment is 0.8 °C.

The relevant graph is here:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/dTbias.png

The discussion in my paper is quoted here:

DISCUSSION OF GRAPH 4

Graph 4 shows Pout for the intial period before any steam came from the E-cat. The red line in the graph shows about a negative 0.5 kW Pout for no heat input. The blue line shows Pout after a 0.8°C adjustment to Delta T. No negative power is produced. However, some nonexistent positive power is produced. The net effect Ebias on total energy out of the 0.8C bias over the 526 minutes of the test is

Ebias = (0.8K)*(178gm/s)*(4.2 J/(gm K))*(526 min)*(60 s/min) = 19 MJ = 5.3 kWh

Without the bias the COP for the test drops from 3.2 to 2.6.

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/dTbias.png

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/